The eight Victorian houses on Broomfield Road were originally owned by families who kept working horses on the premises. Our house was built in 1884. The annex where the utility room, the kitchen and the private entrance to the BandB are now, were once the stables and the stable keeper’s lodgings.
It is inspiring to live within these walls and imagine the lifestyle of the families and their experiences, not least during the two world wars. The attic still shows signs of a Word War II firebomb that extensively damaged the roof. Two similar houses on the street were completely destroyed. In their place today we see Broomfield House School and an apartment block in very different architectural styles.